Radovan Karadzic sentence increased to life at UN tribunal
A UN court has rejected an appeal by Bosnian Serb former leader Radovan Karadzic and increased his sentence to life in prison.
The tribunal on Wednesday ruled that his initial sentence was too light.
In 2016 Karadzic, 73, was found guilty of genocide and war crimes by a UN tribunal in The Hague and given a 40-year prison sentence.
He planned the Srebrenica massacre of July 1995 - the worst atrocity in Europe since World War Two.
Karadzic had said his conviction was based on "rumours". He launched an appeal against his sentence last year, telling judges that the expulsion of Muslims and Croats in the 1990s had been "myths".
Karadzic, a former psychiatrist, was president of the Bosnian Serb entity Republika Srpska during the Bosnian War in the 1990s.
The tribunal rejected the majority of Karadzic's appeal.
Judge Vagn Joensen said the original sentence was too lenient, given the "sheer scale and systematic cruelty" of his crimes.
The former leader cannot appeal the tribunal's decision. He sat in the chamber on Wednesday and did not react to the ruling.
Correspondents say the ruling is likely to be one of the last remaining hearings stemming from the bloody break-up of the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s.